Wednesday, 18 January 2012

I love you, title reader.

Today we visited the Royal Albert Memorial Museum in Exeter, for the first time in over 4 years. We used to go to the museum at least once week, until it was closed for refurbishment in July 2008, and I for one have greatly missed the place. I used to love seeing the collection of animals, fossils, bones, old pottery and the various other delights they had, so I was really excited when I found out that they had reopened in December. 

We decided to pop in and have a quick scoot around to kill time before we had to trundle off to one of the home-ed groups we go to. As we didn't spend long there (around half an hour), I don't have a full opinion on the new look yet, but I shall give you my very first impressions. Upon first entering the museum, there isn't really much of a difference than before the refurbishment (although the walls have been painted bright pink. I don't remember them being that colour before!). The first large room we stepped foot in had glass cabinets all over the walls, and display cases were placed on the floor so there was something to look at everywhere you went. There was even stuff hanging from the ceiling!

I found that the set-up of the objects in the museums collection is slightly confusing. For example, there was an elephant, a giraffe, the skeleton of a whale stood together, with a... grand piano. Yes, it was a beautiful piano - it had roses and other flowers painted all over it, but I didn't understand why it was put with two large animals and a skeleton of a whale. Another thing I was kind of disappointed by was they had put the giraffe together with other objects. Let me explain: Gerald the Giraffe (no, I didn't just make up the name, that is what he's really called), always used to be stood on his own at the entrance to the museum, and the way he was placed on the first floor allowed his head to poke through the second floor of the museum -meaning that you really got a feel for how tall he is. Now though, he's just put there with the elephant, the whale skeleton and the piano and he (sadly) doesn't look so spectacular :(

However, they still have an amazing collection of incredible objects, and I can't wait to go back for a proper look around (when I'll do a 'proper' review with pictures and everything).

After we'd ventured to the museum, we went to one of the home ed groups that is held nearby. We had fun talking to friends, drinking hot chocolate, playing on swings and slides and having a good time in general.

Anyway, I'm off now so I shall 'see' you all tomorrow.

xo, Chelsea





2 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Chelsea! As a mom, who unschools a teenage daughter, I am just thrilled to read this! You are beautiful, very well spoken, and a wonderful writer! Kudos to you! =0) Keep it up....can't wait to read more.

    -Chris Schultz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Echoing what Chris says , your writing is great ! Pleased you're having a good time , love to you all xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello :o)
Thank you for taking time to leave a comment, please be nice :o)
Chelsea x